Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  California licensed attorney
11182422

My boss told me that i needed to type a resignation letter

Customer Question

My boss told me that i needed to type a resignation letter and list that I was leaving for personal reasons, can he do that
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 2 years ago.

Trial Master :

Hello there.

Customer :

hello

Trial Master :

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. Your boss certainly has the right to request that you type a resignation letter and state that you are leaving for personal reasons, but there is no legal requirement for you to do so. The only exception might hypothetically be if you had an employment contract and the employment contract specifically stated that you would write a letter of resignation upon leaving and state your reasons for leaving, but generally "no", your employer cannot make that requirement.

Customer :

ok. so what can I do? Also, he has told me thag I made him lose clients, I stole money from him, and that I was not on the up and up with clients.

Trial Master :

You can tell your employer "no".

Customer :

I couldn't go back into the office

Customer :

He directed me not to contact any clients, nor to go back into the office.

Trial Master :

You can also ignore the request. The point is that the employer can make the request, but you are not under a legal obligation to conform to it.

Trial Master :

How to handle it is a personal decision, so that is up to you, but I can tell you that legally there is no obligation.

Customer :

Ok, I did write the resignation lette,r but I stated that I was forced to resign. Can that uphold in court?

Trial Master :

Why would it go to court in the first place?

Customer :

Because I want to take him to court. Look at what he is saying about me.

Customer :

I worked for the company for 2 years. Which during that time he never paid workers comp, I was paid below miminum wage

Customer :

Doesn't claim he has employees, doesn't pay workers comp, insurance liability. He is a complete fraud

Trial Master :

Did you write anything in the letter that was untrue?

Customer :

along with scaming property owners, and not using license contractors, allowing unlicensed employees to show properties, sign leases, and collect money from tenants

Customer :

no. All I put in the letter was that "I am giving my reisgnation, my last day is Feb 29th" and than I was asked if I found another job, and I replied with no I was told to resign.

Trial Master :

If the letter contained nothing that was untrue, then it would typically cause no problems in court.

Customer :

your not answering my questions

Trial Master :

I am sorry, but thank you for letting me know that there is a perceived problem. What am I missing?