Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

I was asked to either resign or I would be fired. I chose to

Customer Question

I was asked to either resign or I would be fired. I chose to resign, because I have NEVER been in a position like that.
I am 56 years old and I live in California. I would like to know if I can collect unemployment If I resigned? My company said they would not contest...what is your best advice to ensure I receive these benefits.
Thank you in Advance.
AE
Orange County CA
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Yes, if you indicate on your application that the employer was terminating your employment but gave you the option to resign, your benefits should normally be approved.

As long as it is clear to the commission that your employment was being terminated either way, you should receive benefits.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.