LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I received a letter from unemployment requesting that I pay

Customer Question

I received a letter from unemployment requesting that I pay back a huge overpayment, including a 30% penalty. I wish to appeal this, but have no idea how to write a letter for this, or where to find and unemployment attorney in my area. Can you help me ?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Under CA unemployment regulations, when you knowingly give false information or withhold information and receive benefits that you should not have received, this not only can result in criminal prosecution, but with fraud you are assessed a penalty in the amount of 30 percent of the amount of the overpayment and a false statement disqualification of as much as a year. Fraud overpayments and penalties must be repaid under the law.

To request an appeal, you must send a Request for Appeal letter to the EDD within 20 days of the mailing date of the Notice of Overpayment. The mailing date can be found in the upper right hand corner of the first page of the Notice. The address you need to send the appeal letter is also on the Notice.

Your letter needs to include your current contact information, your Social Security Number, and a simple statement indicating you disagree with the EDD’s Notice of Overpayment. You will have an opportunity to thoroughly prepare and present your arguments during an appeal hearing. Keep your communication short and relevant. This is not the point in time at which you offer evidence in your defense. You are only requesting an Appeal.

In the meantime, you might consider retaining a local unemployment law attorney to represent because, while it is unlikely that you will be prosecuted, it is important that you do not lose the appeal because of the money involved, and because of the fact that you stand to be penalized in the future as well if you again become unemployed and have need to file a claim.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely appreciate your abiding by the honor system as regards Accepting answers. I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when filing for bankruptcy, is it possible to NOT file on certain creditors, such as credit cards and car loans ? thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
when filing for bankruptcy, is it possible to NOT file on some creditors, such as credit cards and car loans ?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,

Please know that the Terms of Service of JustAnswer specify that each customer ask one question in each question thread. I would respectfully ask that you open a new question thread if you have a new question to ask of me. You may ask for me personally by referring to me by name (Doug) in the question and I will be able to answer your continuing questions.

Please also understand that the Terms of Service of JustAnswer hold that you should Accept an Answer which has been informative and helpful to you in your understanding of the situation. I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I appreciate your abiding by the honor system as regards Accepting answers.

Doug