Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

my husband never gets breaks from meetings in order to eat.

my husband never gets breaks from meetings in order to eat. he is a diabetic. HIs HR department told him, he " can" get up and get food, however, he is the head of the meetings, ie. middle management, and his meetins are booked without a break, noone will adjust that, and there is no food at the meetings.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

The ADA would typically dictate this situation and would require that the employer provide your husband with reasonable accommodations typically. It does not require that they provide him with the best accommodation or any that he requests, but if his condition may be controlled by a snack between meals and he directs the meetings, he should indicate to the participants that there will be "bathroom" or other breaks periodically, depending on the length of the meetings.

During such breaks, your husband could eat a snack he has brought or buy one from a vending machine.

In addition, if the emplioyer does not provide a meal time break, that would normally be a reasonable accommodation under the ADA.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.