Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Im about to start a new job. Am I required to disclose my

Customer Question

I'm about to start a new job. Am I required to disclose my HIV positive status to my employer? I will not be using their health insurance program.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

People with HIV do not have to disclose their HIV status to their employer unless specifically required by statute (for example, upon applying for a position in the military) or unless the position is one where there is a foreseeable risk of transmission of HIV to another person in the workplace.

Furthermore, an employer with 15 or more employees is actually prohibited from discriminating against any employee or prospective employee on the basis of their HIV positive status, so even if your employer did become aware that you have HIV, he or she could not take any adverse employment action against you as a result.

I sincerely hope that this information helps you and I wish you the best.

My greatest concern is that you are satisfied with the answer I provide, so please do not hesitate to contact me with follow-up questions. Although I cannot always provide good news, I hope that my answer gives you a better understanding of the law and your rights so that you can obtain the best possible result under the circumstances. Also, please bear in mind that experts are not credited for unaccepted answers, so I greatly appreciate you taking the time to "accept" my answer and leave positive feedback.

Finally, none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.