Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I hired an employee at the beginning of February. So far he

I hired an employee at the beginning of February. So far he was 20 minutes late for one shift and the day after being talked to he showed up 5 minutes late. He took a day off and today he did not show and did not call or inform me. I have only given him verbal warning and nothing is really on paper. Do I have grounds to fire him?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Yes, you have the right to fire the employee.

As an at-will employee, you can terminate the employee's employment at any time for any reason with or without prior notice, so you have grounds to terminate the employee for arriving late and not showing up.

The at-will employment doctrine is codified in section 2922 of the California Labor Code, here:
"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."