Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

My bosses in my job are acting weird. the revenue for the business

My bosses in my job are acting weird. the revenue for the business has been going down for the past few years and now they are trying to cut costs by cutting employees. they are makeing up ridculous rules so we can not achevie them and they will fire us. they are going to do a drug screening to have reason to fire people and i know that the bosses have done drugs with the people that would fail. at our saftey meeting my boss said after explaining the revenue situation that everyone has higher salaries and are expected to do more which is fine but i am affraid they are trying to cut expenses by fireing allot of people and highering new people to pay them less.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

What question do you have regarding your situation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What should I be looking for and how should I collect evidence that will prove that the employees that are being fired are getting fired so the company can higher new people and to pay them less.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello.

Unfortunately, unless the employer is discriminating against current employees on the basis of a protected characteristic (such as race, gender, national origin, ethnicity, or age--over 40), the employer's actions of terminating current employees to hire new employees and pay them less is legal.

If you believe that the employer is discriminating against current employees on the basis of a protected characteristic, you can file a complaint against the employer with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing for discrimination in violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act.

You can file a complaint using the instructions available online here:

http://dfeh.ca.gov/Complaints_eCompProc.htm