Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Unemployment is denying my claim because they said i didnt

Unemployment is denying my claim because they said i didnt file when i was first eleigible. the reason i didnt file when i was first eligible was because i was in the middle of a disability appeal and disabilty told me not to file for ui until my appeals were taken care of. how can i win the appeal for ui?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

In order to be eligible for unemployment benefits, you would need to have had good cause for delaying your application for benefits.

You should explain the reason why you delayed your application for benefits and that you were informed that you should not file for benefits until your disability appeal ended.

For more information on 'good cause' for extending the time period for unemployment claims, see this site:

You would also need to be able to demonstrate that you were terminated through no fault of your own and that you are ready and available to work.

Unfortunately, since you filed for disability, that would tend to go against your ability to be ready and available to work when you were first terminated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I filed for disabilty from 3/25/11 to 9/6/11. I filed for ui in january 2012 for my claim to be from 9/8/11 to 1/10/12. i have been employed by the same employer that terminated me since 1/13/12.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.