Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I worked for a city for 7 years in the last 3-4 years I was

Customer Question

I worked for a city for 7 years in the last 3-4 years I was harrassed and discriminated against. There were 17 customer service reps all in the same position. We all went to the UNION - union would'nt or couldn't do anything unless someone filed a grievenence. I did this at that time the HR dept decided that an investigation needed to be done. So they hired an investigator. About a month into it investigator went back to HR and advised that this was bigger than just me so she wanted to do an indepth investigation. It was agreed to. I could not take it anymore my health had declined was having panic attacks and not able to see so I had to resign. This investigation continued. The city did not want to release this investigation to public or to those who were involved including the UNION. Union filed a case and in doing so used my name (even though this is what everyone was fighting for - no names to be used) My name was in the documents that went to the courts. This is about 3 years after I had left. I have moved to another state (this was in CA) and am looking for work. I was shocked to see on the internet when you pull up my name along with the city I worked in that this harrassement case comes up. Needless to say it is not helping me to try and find a job. I have applied for 3 jobs interviews went really well and now I understand why I did not get the job. Do I have any rights? The UNION released my name without my authorization. This went all the way to the grand jury and The City was advised that they had to release this investigation. This was released to the UNION in a condensed form with names blacked out. I spoke with the UNION and asked what they intended to do with this. They are trying to get a complete picture of the investigation. When I asked why my name was released they said they didn't know and would have to get back to me. Of course I have not heard back.

Where do I stand?

Thanks for any help that you could give me.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't have a cause of action against the union for releasing your name in connection with the investigation without your authorization.

If the union were making false and damaging statements about you then you could sue for defamation, however, the union's release of your name in connection with the investigation doesn't give rise to any cause of action.