Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I was laid off

I was laid off today 3/2 as an inventory controller supervisor because my position was no longer needed and the position was being eliminated. I went home to search for a job online and I found the company that I worked for is hiring for the same position I was let go for. This position was just posted 4 days ago. Therefore,the company got rid of me for no reason. I have been working for the company for over 12yrs and I was good at my job. Can the company be sue for firing me for no reason? What are my steps?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, you can be terminated at any time for any reason (even a bad or false one) with or without prior notice (as long as the reason isn't based on discrimination due to a protected characteristic).

This stems from California Labor Code section 2922, which states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

However, since you weren't terminated for cause, you are eligible to receive unemployment benefits. You can file for
unemployment benefits online here:

https://eapply4ui.edd.ca.gov/