Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I am applying for a job in California with a company that is

I am applying for a job in California with a company that is based in Greenwich, Connecticut. I filled out a basic job application online before my first interview. After my second interview, I received a request to fill out more information on the online application. The application required that I put down my birth date. Using a drop down box, the years available to choose from ended before by birth date. I am not able to go onto the next sections without filling this out. How do I handle this?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

It is typically illegal for employers to request an applicant's date of birth before submitting an offer of employment to the applicant. Because of that, I would not complete that portion of the application requesting the year of birth.

You may also wish to report this issue to the CA Fair Employment and Housing Commission, which has the authority to investigate allegations of age discrimination.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I do need further clarification. I am not able to complete the online form without filling out the birth date. It appears I will have to call HR to discuss. What is your suggestion?
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I would call the HR department, but not tell them your DOB does not appear on the form. Instead, I would tell them that under the ADEA, they should not be requesting an applicant's age. If you tell them your age, you are not likely to get the job since they may have intentionally omitted older birth years.