Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

if i quit my position and have already been paid for 9.5 hours

if i quit my position and have already been paid for 9.5 hours which i did not work what recourse do they have if i do not repay them? Can they legally keep my personal effects until I reimburse them for the hours that I did not work?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

An employer in this case would need to sue the employee in small claims court to obtain reimbursement for the overpaid amount. An employer cannot retain an employee's personal property as collateral for an overpayment, typically speaking.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

My greatest concern is that you are satisfied with the answer I provide, so please do not hesitate to contact me with follow-up questions. Although I cannot always provide good news, I hope that my answer gives you a better understanding of the law and your rights so that you can obtain the best possible result under the circumstances. Also, please bear in mind that experts are not credited for unaccepted answers, so I greatly appreciate you taking the time to "accept" my answer and leave positive feedback.

Finally, none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.