Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Hello, I was laid off yesterday. I work in California. If

I was laid off yesterday. I work in California. If I get severance, does the amount (four weeks of my normal pay) affect when I am eligible for unemployment benefits?

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Severance pay will not affect your eligibility for unemployment benefits and will not be deducted from those benefits. Even if the severance is payed in intervals, that does not affect the nature of the payment and, thus, will have no impact on your eligibility. You must, however, report to the EDD that you have received severance.

Here is a detailed article from the EDD discussing this issue:

The short answer, though, is that a payment that is clearly made as "severance" has no impact on one's elibigility for UE benefits.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

My greatest concern is that you are satisfied with the answer I provide, so please do not hesitate to contact me with follow-up questions. Although I cannot always provide good news, I hope that my answer gives you a better understanding of the law and your rights so that you can obtain the best possible result under the circumstances. Also, please bear in mind that experts are not credited for unaccepted answers, so I greatly appreciate you taking the time to "accept" my answer and leave positive feedback.

Finally, none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.