socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I quit my full time job to take a part time job. I had been

Customer Question

I quit my full time job to take a part time job. I had been at my full time job for 10 years. I was laid off from my part time job after 2 months. Can I still get unemployment in California?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 2 years ago.
[Due to a technical issue, some formatting including numbering and font features (underlining, bold, italics) has been removed from the following post. Our engineers are aware of the issue and working toward addressing it. I apologize for any difficulty in reading.]

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:

I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.

My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:

1. When you receive my answer, please kindly click the ACCEPT button. This is the case regardless of whether you are paying for just one question or are using any type of subscription plan or promotional offer. Doing so does not terminate our dialog. I will gladly continue our discussion, without additional charge, if needed. I receive no wages or salary for my time.

2. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.

3. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.

4. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.

5. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.

6. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.

7. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.

QUESTION: "Can I still get unemployment in California?"

ANSWER: Yes. I am sorry about your lousy luck, but the good news is that nothing you have described represents an absolute bar to collecting unemployment insurance benefits. Under California law, the basic eligibility criteria include being partially or completely unemployed (not through your fault), having enough wages during what is known as a "base period", and be able to work, looking for work, and willing to accept work. So, you have nothing to lose. Go ahead and file, and I hope your luck changes for the better from here onward.

I truly hope all works out for you. I know this is a lot to take in, so please do not hesitate to write back. After you select "Accept", our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to have made a certain amount of money at the part time job, or worked there for a certain amount of time in order to collect unemployment insurance based on my previous job (since the base period would be based on the previous job and not on the job where I was laid off)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have kids to get in bed and (lol!) just needing an answer is all. Not dissatisfied at all!
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.

Different expert here. (Edited by Moderator)

Please permit me to assist.

Unemp.. Ins. Code Section 1279 provides the maximum wages that a person can earn in part-time work and still be considered unemployed under the Code. In practice, the calculation requires that if you earn more than 75% of your weekly unemployment benefit amount, then you will be disqualified from further benefits and considered "employed." Since the maximum unemployment benefit is $450 per week, the maximum you can earn at part-time work is $337.50 per week.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

You are quite welcome-- my pleasure to be of service.

I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.

I have answered your question on the honor system, so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you click "Accept" Many thanks in advance!

QUESTION: "Do I need to have made a certain amount of money at the part time job, or worked there for a certain amount of time in order to collect unemployment insurance based on my previous job (since the base period would be based on the previous job and not on the job where I was laid off)"

ANSWER: You have posed an interesting question and one which can get to be a bit more complex than one would think at first blush. If I am understanding correctly, you are wanting to make sure about having enough wage credits during the governing base period(s). That is a very logical question, and in retrospect I wish I had better addressed it the first time around. A base period, under California law, is simply a certain 12-month span of time and basically works like this. First, it starts approximately 15 to 17 months prior to the date on which a claim is filed. If you are approved to receive benefits, the actual dollar amount you would receive on a weekly basis would be figured based upon the calendar quarter containing the greatest (highest) amount of earnings therein (accrued during the base period in question). Whew! Yes, it does get a bit involved, and I hope I am doing a decent job of explaining the concept. Ultimately, I would stick with my original comment to go ahead and apply. Truthfully, that is the only way to know for certain where you stand.

I absolutely understand that getting kids off to bed is the first priority, so please feel free to pick up our conversation at any time, if need, at your convenience.

In Cal. Unemp. Ins. App. Brd. (CUIAB) precedent decision 278, the board determined that a claimant who voluntarily quits permanent employment to accept part-time employment, leaves work without good cause, and therefore, the base period amounts applicable to your claim would only be for the two months of your subsequent temporary employment.

My colleague suggests that you apply for benefits. I sympathize with his desire to provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. And, there is no economic cost in filing an unemployment benefit claim, so you have nothing to lose but some time in filing your claim.

Best wishes.