Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I heard there was a possibility that I was going to be fired

I heard there was a possibility that I was going to be fired from my job after 16 years of employment. After I heard this the entire management team was on a conference call/go to meeting and the presenter (my boss) had his email open and an email popped up from our CFO regarding my termination. Since then everyone at was on the call have been talking about me back and forth (no one has addressed me personally). Is this considered defamation? I am in fact being fired as today I went online to print my most recent pays tub and found that my paystubs for my final checks have been processed.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

If the comments that were being made about you were false then that would constitute defamation.

However, unfortunately, if the comments were just discussing your termination, you wouldn't have a cause of action for defamation.

If you are interested in pursuing a cause of action for defamation against your employer, I would recommend that you find an attorney online here;

www.lawyers.com

I suggest that you hire an attorney on a contingency basis, so you only have to compensate your attorney if you receive a settlement or a verdict in your favor.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management