How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 10915
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer and fello colleagues have been getting abusive

Resolved Question:

My employer and fello colleagues have been getting abusive and sexual impersoenation mail by someone posing as me. What should I do? What type of lawyer or Priviate investigator should I seek, if any?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

The first thing that someone in this circumstance should typically do is inform their employer that they are NOT the author of these messages. This may sound obviously, but it's necessary so that you are not falsely accused of sexual harassment in the workplace.

In regard to ensuring that these messages stop, that may be difficult to do if the person sending these messages is not actually using your account (if they were using your account, you could simply change passwords or accounts).

The first thing you should do is advise your co-workers to mark these messages as spam and set up an email filter so that they no longer receive the messages in their new mail.

If you are interested in actually tracking this person down, the first thing you would need to do is obtain the IP address from which the emails originate.

If you are not very familiar with computers, an IP address is essentially the identifying number of the web server that a computer user uses to connect to the internet. It can be used to track the location of a computer user, and in many cases their actual identity (though you typically need to subpoena the latter information from the web service provider). For instructions on how to obtain someone's IP address from an email (which I assume you've received from this person) visit this link:

Once you have the IP address, you can check where it has originated from using one of several IP address identifying websites, such as

You should refer the IP address and any other relevant information to local law enforcement for investigation. This is cyber harassment, and law enforcement can take this very seriously, depending on the specific nature of the emails.
You should also report this harassment to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, a division of the FBI, at the following address:

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

My greatest concern is that you are satisfied with the answer I provide, so please do not hesitate to contact me with follow-up questions. Although I cannot always provide good news, I hope that my answer gives you a better understanding of the law and your rights so that you can obtain the best possible result under the circumstances. Also, please bear in mind that experts are not credited for unaccepted answers, so I greatly appreciate you taking the time to "accept" my answer and leave positive feedback.

Finally, none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for that typo in my first paragraph. It may sound *obvious* but it is necessary . . .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


thank you. There is also Blogs posted on the internet posing as me and the stuff written is discusting and sexual in nature. I have filed a complaint with the local Sheriff department, but seemed all they did was take information and filed the complaint. My employer is getting mail at his personal home as well as sent to his ex-wife. Should my employer take action to this action to this? Is there a PI that can be hired to assist?

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Most websites will take down material that is clearly defamatory (as is any post from someone claiming to be you who is not) if you write the website and request that the offending posts be removed. Once of a website is on notice that it is hosting defamatory content, it can under certain circumstances be held liable for that content if it keeps it available in reckless disregard of its falsity.

Most websites have a "contact" page where you can get a hold of the webmaster to make this sort of request. If no contact info is available, you can obtain the website administrator's contact information by looking up the domain registry for the website through a domain registry database such as this one:

Simply use the provided search field and search the part of the domain (leaving out "http://"). This will give you the website registration details, which usually includes contact information.

You may also wish to seek the services of an online reputation management service, such as Reputation Defender: They will do this work on your behalf and ensure that all derogatory postings about you are removed to the extent permitted by law.

A service such as reputation defender would likely do more for you than simply hiring a private investigator. However, if you are interested in finding a private investigator, this is where you would want to go to start that process:

Unfortunately, your employer is under no obligation to prevent this from occuring unless the perpetrator is a fellow employee.

Again, my number one goal is that you are satisfied with my answer. If you are, I would greatly appreciate your "accept." If you still require further clarification, I am happy to continue assisting you.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 10915
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Patrick, Esq. and 2 other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions