Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

My company is asking me to put my personal cell phone number

Customer Question

My company is asking me to put my personal cell phone number on a company line for the public to be able to call me when I am on call after hours. They do not fund my personal cell phone. Is that legal? Also, I do not get paid an hourly wage or any other wage for being on call. Is that legal?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Yes, unfortunately it is legal for your employer to require you to put your personal cell phone number on a company line to be called after hours.

If you're required to remain on your employer's premises, or be within 10 minutes of your employer, then you are entitled to be compensated for 'on call' time per the Fair Labor and Standards Act.

If you are not being paid for 'on call' time in which you are required to be within 10 minutes of your employer, you can file a wage claim with the Department of Labor.

You can find the nearest office of the Wage and Hour Division of the Department of Labor online here:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/america2.htm#Virginia