Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

California auto dealer I have worked for 13 years about 70

Customer Question

California auto dealer I have worked for 13 years about 70 hours a week as a sales manager I dont get a lunch break must eat on the run is this legal? I'm really tired of watch service manager,office manager and all owners take 1 hour lunch,get to leave and take a break!
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

If you are a non-exempt employee, then your employer is required to give you a half-hour lunch break in which you are relieved of all your duties.

If your employer is not giving you a lunch break, then the employer is liable for paying you penalties for every meal break that you are rquried to work through.

You can file a claim against your employer with the Department of Industrial Relations for failing to provide you with meal breaks.

You can file a claim using the forms available online here: