Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

My daughter started a new job with an event planning company.

My daughter started a new job with an event planning company. She started on a hourly basis. After a month the owner converted her to a salary. Now, of course, the ATT at Pebble Beach comes along and the owner has her working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and that has been going on for 2 weeks and she has another two weeks like that to go....hate to see my daughter being taken advantage of...kind of hurts when you are the Dad. Can an employer work a salaried employee without limitations from a legal standpoint?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you.

An employer is free to require their employees to work as many hours as they wish. However, the employees may be entitled to OVERTIME for such work, even if they are "salaried" employees.

Salaried employees are entitled to overtime unless they fall into one of the few categories of "overtime exempt" employees. Exemptions are provided for certain managerial employees, administrative employees, and professional employees, for example. For more information regarding the exemptions to overtime, read this guide:

ALL salaried employees must receive a salary that amount to twice the minimum wage ($8/hr) for all hours worked.

So, unless an employee falls within one of the few exemptions from overtime and makes a salary twice the minimum wage for all hours worked, he or she would be entitled to overtime for all hours worked in excess of 8 per day or 40 per week. Provided an employer complies with these rules, they may require employees to work as many hours as they'd like.

If you have any questions or concerns whatsoever regarding my answer, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.