Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

can an employer suspend an employee for 2 weeks without pay

can an employer suspend an employee for 2 weeks without pay without giving a reason, verbally or written?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Unfortunately, the laws in this area strongly favor the employer. (It is, afterall, the large corporations that are able to lobby the state legislature.) Typically, an employer may typically suspend an employee for any reason or no reason, unless the underlying motivation is unlawful or discriminatory.

This tremendous freedom stems from the basic premise that employment is "at will," absent an agreement to the contrary. Courts have interpreted this to mean that, since an employer retains discretion to terminate employees for no reason, it also retains the authority to dictate the terms of employment and suspend, discipline, or impose other sanctions on employees as it sees fit.

I realize this is probably not what you were hoping to hear, and I wish that I could provide you with better news. Nonetheless, I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.