Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Do I have to declare that I had a suspend impositition to an

Do I have to declare that I had a suspend impositition to an employer in california
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. By suspend imposition, what specifically do you mean?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was working in fairfax county virginia and charged with serving alcohol to an underage buyer. I went to court and was granted a suspended imposition of sentence. My lawyer told me that all I had to do was be good for one year and the entire thing would go away and not show up on my background check. I have started to work for UC berkeley and want to make sure my background check will come back clean
Thank you so much for the additional information.

Courts typically regard a Suspended Imposition of Sentence as a conviction until a discharge order is actually signed. The discharge order will formally release you from the Court's jurisdiction, and at that point your record for the conviction will be sealed and you can honestly answer "no" to questions about whether you have any convictions.

Until that time, this will likely show up on a background check and it is strongly recommended to be totally forthcoming on any employment application. So, the answer to your question is "yes," you probably need to declare your suspended imposition of sentence, and it will likely appear on a background check anyway.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.