Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

i am working for very small insurance company and there was

i am working for very small insurance company and there was a verbal agreement on how i was going to get paid. On the policies i would sale i would get 50% of the commission and if i didn't make at leased $640 every 15 days. In the policies i sale then the salary would kick in and i would at lease make the minimum California salary. I was fine with that but about to months ago my employer with no notification changed the agreement we verbally had and started paying me full commission and i was fine to with that change. Now he changed that and now he is not paying me the full commission and he is not even paying me the minimum. And he reduced pay pay with no notice, And when i asked about it he says it was there was not enough sales and he still took half of my commission. Is there something i can do? please help
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Under California law, your employer is required to pay you at least minimum wage if you are not making minimum wage based on the commissions that you receive.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee your employer can change the terms of your employment while you are working, but your employer cannot retroactively take away commissions or wages that you have already earned.

You should file a wage claim against your employer for the amount in unpaid commissions that your employer has withheld from you.

You can file a wage claim with the Department of Industrial Relations using the forms available here: