Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

As an employer preparing to terminate an employee, what can

As an employer preparing to terminate an employee, what can I tell my customers/clients about why the employee was terminated? The employee is well liked by many of my customers but the employee has done several significant things that cannot be ignored any longer. The employee will likely go to my client base and significantly effect my contracts. This is an at-will employee who has been working at this location for over 10 years with a significant personal relationship with many of my clients. I have tried for the last two years to correct the conduct but it is only getting worse. The employee will be judgment proof so threats of suing the person are not viable. This could turn into a campaign for the "hearts and minds" of the clients and I need to know what I can reveal to them regarding the conduct of the employee.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

You can inform the customers and clients of the reasons for the employee's termination.

As long as the reasons that you give for the employee's termination are true, then you wouldn't face any liability for informing the customers and clients of the reasons for the termination.

The only thing you would have to worry about is if you made any false statements about the employee's conduct that gave rise to the termination, since the employee could sue for defamation for false and damaging statements made about the employee to customers and clients.

I would advise to have the reasons for the termination documented so you could adequately defend yourself from a potential defamation cause of action by the employee.