socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

A teacher is being brought before the board of Trustes this

A teacher is being brought before the board of Trustes this evening for evaluation,discipline and possible dismissal. Am I correct that she has the right to ask for a public meeting?

Ken Coburn
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
A teacher has a right to a hearing before being terminated from employment. There is no rule that requires that the hearing be public. However, if the teacher is actually disciplined or terminated and she disagrees with the outcome, she has the writ to petition the Superior Court in the county where the teacher is employed for a writ of mandate -- which is a review of the school's decision.

And, that hearing is public.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!