Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

My employer has asked that I back up the receptionist when

My employer has asked that I back up the receptionist when out by answering the phones. Two employees are backing up the phone answering for the main receptionist and her backup. I suffer from an anxiety from a previous reception situation, obtained a doctor's note and presented it to management with suggestion to take on other people's tasks that don't suffer the nervous reaction I do. My request has been declined and each week I am asked about it. Is this any form or badgering or harassment?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Yes, if you are being discriminated against on the basis of your disability (anxiety) then the unfair treatment that you're receiving due to your disability could constitute illegal discrimination in violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act.

You can file a claim against your employer with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing.

You can file a claim using the instructions available here:

http://dfeh.ca.gov/Complaints_eCompProc.htm

The "DFEH" will investigate the complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a right to sue letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.