Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Further to my previous question, should I make a formal request

Further to my previous question, should I make a formal request (in writing) to review my personnel file? And if so, do I make the request to the HR staff member or to my boss or to both?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Your request may be either oral or written. However, it is better to make the request in writing that way you have documented proof that you made it.

Section 1198.5 simply states: "The employer shall make the contents of those personnel records available." Accordingly, the request can typically be submitted to anyone with the authority to grant it acting on behalf of the "employer." A request made to either the boss or HR should be sufficient, but to cover your bases, it can't hurt to send the request to both.

I hope that this adequately clarifies my previous response, and I wish you the best. Again, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.