Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Can my boss tell me that I cannot hang out with a co-worker

Can my boss tell me that I cannot hang out with a co-worker of the opposite sex in my off time?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

The laws governing this sort of issue strongly favor the employer. This is because, absent an employment contract guaranteeing you employment for a specified period of time, you are what is known as an "at will" employee. More specifically, California Labor Code Section 2922 provides that: "employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other."

What this means is that your employer is free to terminate you for any reason whatsoever, even a reason that is entirely unfair, unless the underlying motivation is discriminatory or otherwise in violation of California law.

So, unless this prohibition could somehow be construed as discrimination (for example, meeting this person for the purpose of attending religious functions), it likely is not illegal despite the fact that it is extremely unfair and unreasonable.

If you require any clarification whatsoever, please do not hesitate to ask.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.