Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

My situation is this, I work for my brother-in-law, his wife

My situation is this, I work for my brother-in-law, his wife is my sister.
1) dr.'s wife told me to get out. to leave the job. all the time yelling @ me. (there are other employees who dr's wife humilates as well)
2) I had to see my medical dr. My medical dr put me on medical leave for 9 days. during this time my employee laid me off. Can he do that.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Does the employer have at least 50 employees?

Who is the dr.'s wife you refer to above, someone employmed by your brother-in-law?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we do not have 50 employees.
She is not employed. she have never been introduced with a specific title other than she is the dr's wife. (she does do billing for the office & takes care of their personal business)
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I see.

There is normally not a cause of action that one may pursue based on someone yelling at them unfortunately. While it is unpleasant and even humiliating, unless there is something more, it would not normally provide grounds to pursue legal action.

With regard to being laid off, the employer can normally lay off an employee who is no longer able to work and is not being protected by state or federal leave laws which normally require that employers have at least 50 employees before such protections are provided.

I am sorry.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.