Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am house director for a sorority at UCLA. Both in my first

I am house director for a sorority at UCLA. Both in my first phone conversation when they recruited me, and in my interview with board members, an advisor, and the collegians, I told them I had a cat and they all agreed that would be fine. This sorority has an unwritten national policy that allows their house director to have pets.

After 18 months, they told me I had to "get rid of her" and gave me a deadline. Since she was 22, I couldn't find a no-kill shelter or volunteer to take her. She was, according to the vet, no more than a couple of weeks from going on her own terms, yet I ws forced to put her to sleep because of the deadline.

Not only did she have to be put "to sleep" which sounds like such a gentle term, because her veins are over 100 years old, the vet wasn't able to find one. Consequently, they had to put her partially under anesthesia to calm her enough to give her the injection, and of course, I wsn't able to be with her. The last memory I'll have of this animal who trusted me to care for her for 22 years is her being carted off by the vet looking at me and crying for me to save her.

By far, of all the crap sorority house directors have to go through, this is the most heartless thing any of my peers can ever remember.

Do I have any recourse?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situaton and hope I can help.

You may have a cause of action for breach of contract for the sorority forcing you to put your cat to sleep after informing you that you could have pets.

Unfortunately, since pets are considered property, you would be limtied to suing for the value of your cat, and wouldn't be able to recover for the emotional damage that you've suffered as a result of having to put your cat to sleep.

If you're interested in filing suit, I would suggest that you file a claim in small claims court for the vaue of your cat.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What if they would turn around and fire me anyway? Would there be recourse then?

It's a shame there's not an "asshole" law.....like Oklahoma's "Make My Day" law where if someone puts a toenail or fingertip into your home without your permission you can blast their had off and be perfectly justified.

Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
No, unfortunately, as an at-will employee, you could be terminated at any time for any reason with or without prior notice.

I agree that it's too bad there's no 'asshole' law.