Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

if an employee starts at 9am what are the typical ending hours

Customer Question

if an employee starts at 9am what are the typical ending hours for a 8 hr work day?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

An employee who works an 8 hour day must take a lunch break of at least 30 minutes (under certain limited circumstances, this lunch period can be considered "on duty" if the employer does not relieve the employee of all duties). So, a worker who works 8 hours and starts work at 9:00am would not get done until 5:30pm at the very earliest, assuming he or she took a non-paid lunch. There is also no restriction on employers who wish to permit their employees to take longer lunch periods. Thus, a lunch period could be three hours if the employer gave such permission.

So, the very earliest ending hours for an employee starting at 9 and working 8 hours would be 5:30, unless the employee took a paid lunch or no lunch.

I sincerely hope that this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.