Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Are you obligated in California to discuss any details about

Are you obligated in California to discuss any details about your future employer to your current employer?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

An employee is under no legal obligation to divulge details about their future employer to a current employer.

However, assuming the employee is an "at will" employee (no guarantee of employment for a specified period of time), his or her employer would be free to terminate them for any reason whatsoever, including failure to comply with a request for such information.

This authority is derived from California Labor Code Section 2922, which provides that: "employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other."

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.