Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

We work at a skilled nursing facility. We recently voted to

Customer Question

We work at a skilled nursing facility. We recently voted to work a 12 hour work day. We at the time we all signed off with corp that we would work 36 hours per/week for 40 hours pay. Our administer has this documented however somehow stopped out extra 4 hours pay as well as reducing our differential without so much as a word. Is this legal?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

While an employer typically retains the freedom to change the rate of pay for employees any time it pleases, the employer must provide notice of its intent to do so before the change in pay can take effect.

Failure to pay at the agreed up rate without providing notice of a change in rate would constitute a breach of contract, and employees in such circumstance would typically have a valid claim for unpaid wages.

I sincerely hope that this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.