Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

This is regarding my unemployment insurance extension. I opened

Customer Question

This is regarding my unemployment insurance extension. I opened up a claim back in June and got my 26 weeks. However, after that instead of being put into first tier of unemployment I got put back into an old tier from a claim i had back in 2009. My question is after i have exhausted all of this amount, am I able to go back into the first tier of my new claim??
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to go back to the first tier of your old claim, but after you have exhausted your benefits in all tiers on your claim, you will be elgible for a Federal Extension of your old claim.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
These are two seperate claims though. After my first claim back in 2009 which started February 2009, I went back to work in April 2010 and worked until June 2011. So are you saying that I am only entitled to the extensions that I originally was on in 2009? I dont even know which extension I am on now since its been so long ago.
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
No, you are entitled to the extensions from your second new claim.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, but as of this moment they put me back into my first extension because apparently I still had funds in it. So what happens then, after I exhaust the balance on that old extension from 2009 which is like 3,200 or something?? I didnt expect to get put back into an old extension that has already come and gone. So confusing. By the way I appreciate your help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.