Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

My boss wants us to sign this agreenment and for us it is very

Attachment: 2012-01-06_190343_policy_2012.pdf

My boss wants us to sign this agreenment and for us it is very fishy because he is looking for ways to fired us. We are very concern with bullet 2 and 3 of page 2. My husbans has his own construction business and we are afraid that he can come after our assets and I also have a bookkeeping business on the side and use quickbooks just like here. Please let me know if I should sign or tell my boss to change something. See attached policy that he wants us to sign, he also stated first that he will denied access to the software if we don't sign but now he said he will fired us if we don't sign
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

The agreement that you have attached is a confidentiality agreement designed to protect te employer's trade secrets. Agreements protecting trade secrets are permissible in the state of Calfornia to the extent that they protect information that (1) has independent actual or potential economic value from not being generally known to the public or competitors who could obtain economic value from its disclosure; and (2) the company seeking to protect it has taken reasonable measures to ensure its secrecy.

An employer is free to require an at will employee to sign such an agreement and is free, typically, to terminate employees who refuse to do so. The employer would only be able to prosecute those violations which occurred after the agreement was signed, typically.

Please bear in mind that the above does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationship is formed between us. If my answer has been helpful, please be kind enough to click "accept" so that I get paid for my time. Thanks so much and good luck. 
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.