Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

Employee in still in his 120 day probation period, gave notice

Employee in still in his 120 day probation period, gave notice (9 days) and the company wants to let him go early. Will the employee be eligible to file / collect unemployment if he leaves during his probation?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

For what reason is the employee being terminated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Employee resigned we are letting him go 5 days early
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I see.

When an employee resigns, they are not normally entitled to unemployment benefits unless they can prove there was good cause to quit.

He could be eligible for benefits if you let him go early though, between the time he is let go and the date he was planning to resign. After the resignation date, he would not normally be eligible for benefits though.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.