Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I have been hired by a contractor for the Department of State

I have been hired by a contractor for the Department of State to work for the US embassy in Baghdad as a linguist, upon arrival I was told that I have no right to stay at the embassy due to the fact that I was not a US citizen at the time, I was a green card holder , but I was hired on that status as an exception of policy. I was allowed to stay and they gave me a temporary badge, told me that I had to go on several security interview, during which I was made to sign a document stating that I volunteered to do these interviews knowing that I was told if I do not take them then I will be fired. After doing all that I was told to do, and receiving great reviews from everyone who I have worked for ( I have been assigned to a department only by name, in actuality I was made to work for everybody in the embassy) I was told that I was fired, and that they could not tell me the reason. Now I am a us citizen and a veteran (US Army IRR Soldier jsut came back from a tour in Iraq), I want to know what do I need to do to get my job back?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. How long ago did this occur? When were you terminated and how long were you employed for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This happened in 2008, I was employed on 12/27/2007, and terminated on 07/22/2008
Thank you for this additional information. Unfortunately, any claim for wrongful termination has a "statute of limitations," meaning a specific time frame within which a lawsuit must be brought. Although statutes of limitations vary depending on the particular theory being asserted for why the termination was wrongful, no claim on any theory can typically be brought this far after the date of termination. Claims against government agencies must typically be brought even sooner than claims against private sector employers.

Thus, on a claim that occurred more than three years ago, there is almost certainly no longer any opportunity for legal recourse.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer I've given you, as it's not particularly favorable to your situation.  Had I been able to provide a more favorable answer, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.