Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I have started my own business. I would still like to contribute

I have started my own business. I would still like to contribute to medicare and social security so that I qualify for it when I reach that age. Is there any way I can do this? Would I have to become an employee of my own company and go on payroll?

If you own your own business, you will contribute to medicare and social security when you report your self-employment income on your taxes.

Specifically, you are required to fill out an SE form that to pay your social security and medicare taxes.

This will count toward your contributions to social security and medicare so you will receive those benefits when you reach eligible age.

Please see this website for more information:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The business currently doesnt make money. Im in partnership with my husband who owns his own business but this business basically doesnt do any trading as such but since we are married OUT of community of property with a harsh prenup, I guess I dont get medicare or social security through his profitable business??

(Thats why I thought I would investigate getting work points through this other business, else I dont know how I would be able to earn credits....

You would get medicare and social security through his business if you receive an income from the business.

However, you wouldn't be able to receive medicare or social security unless the business makes a profit, since otherwise you wouldn't be paying into social security or medicaid.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What would be the situation if I worked as an independent contractor to my husbands business? Would I qualify then when I submit my taxes? Is there a sight I can read up on this?

If you work as an independent contractor for your husband's business you would qualify for social security and medicare when you submit your taxes.

You can read up on it here:,,id=98846,00.html