Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Is there a limit on the amount you can require a server in

Is there a limit on the amount you can require a server in a restaurant to tip out the other employees, ie: busser or host.
I have a server that says the maximum amount you can be required to tip out the other employees is 15% of your tips.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Labor Code Section 351 allows involuntary tip pooling. Under such arrangement, tips can be pooled and shared equally among all employees who provide "direct table service." There is no 15% cap on what can be shared. Such employees who contribute to and share in the pool could conceivably include waiters and waitresses, busboys, bartenders, host/hostesses and maitre d's. Visit this link for more information from the DIR regarding gratuities in food service:

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.