arcadierm, Lawyer
Experience:  Board Certified Employment Lawyer

Our new Employee Handbook has attachments to sigh and send

Customer Question

Our new Employee Handbook has attachments to sigh and send back to headquarters. Among those there is a Search Consent agreement, which says that this is now a MANDATORY TERM OF EMPLOYMENT AND THOSE NOT SIGNING ARE SUBJECT TO TERMINATION. I have been with this company for many years and it was NOT a term of employment before.
Should I sign such a document? Not that I am afraid to be caught on something, it just seems very odd to me.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  arcadierm replied 4 years ago.

Board Certified Attorney : Assuming you do not have an actual employment contract, your employer can change its policies, processes, and even your job description as a condition of continued employment. If you refuse to sign something that is not illegal, then you can be legally terminated. A search consent agreement is not illegal unless it violates your privacy rights and it does not serve a legitimate business interest, and it is outside the course and scope of your work.