Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

i work at a hospital and was hit by a patient because the right

Customer Question

i work at a hospital and was hit by a patient because the right safety prtocol was not followed what action can i take?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

All employers are required to comply with the obligations to maintain a safe workplace as set forth by the Occupational Safety and Heath Administration (OSHA). You can read about the OSHA laws here: Here is a guide published by OSHA regarding the prevention of violence in the workplaces of medical providers:

Furthermore, if your employer acted in a generally negligent fashion (meaning the supervisors responsible for ensuring your safety failed to exercise the care of a reasonably prudent person) and your harm arose directly as a result, you may have a common law cause of action for negligence. You would need to have suffered physical injury for the claim to be pursuable. From a practical standpoint, unless your physical injuries are significant, the cost of pursuing a claim may be greater than any recovery you would be able to obtain.

For attorney referrals, visit this link: or visit On MartinDale, you can search attorneys by their practice area.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the very best of luck. Bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Please abide by the honor code of this website by kindly clicking on the GREEN ACCEPT button if my answer has been helpful to you. Thank you very much.