Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I got offered a job to market a business as a independent

Customer Question

I got offered a job to market a business as a independent contractor. The business would be homecare business. I would find people who need homecare and then referr them to the business. I heard somewhere that you can be lieable if you refer someone to someone else. I would not be doing the job of caring for the individual , however if something goes wrong I don't want to be held liable. I don't know if I just put a disclaimer in the contract that I have be signing with company , would suffice what I need to protect myself.Please let me know thanks
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, you could be held liable if you negligenly advise someone to use the homecare company and they are injured as a result even if you include a disclaimer in the contract that you have with the company.

In order to protect yourself from liability, you should have the people who you refer to the homecare business sign an agreement that releases you from liability for refering them to the business.