Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Hello, Would like to inquire about a potential conflict

Would like to inquire about a potential conflict of interest. If I were to disclose my business to my employer would I get in trouble?

I am a salaried engineer in the wireless field employed by a company, where I do design, fabrication and test. In addition, unbeknownst to my employer I'm also running a business where I sell wireless components online (about 50% eBay, and 50% direct). Most of the components are bought/ resold, some are designed and sold. One could certainly make a case that the types of components and systems I resell are different from what I do at work. I have been running the business for about 4 years.
For reference, my salary is around 100K, and my business brings in around 50K annual.

I have 4 years of experience in accounting, business dev, and management thanks to running my business, and to move forward (e.g. new job search, connections) it would be essential for me to include this experience on my resume, LinkedIn etc...

So here is a question:
If I were to make this experience known while I'm still working for my employer, is there a conflict of interest? Or is it true that what I do with my personal time is my own business?

Thank you so much!
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

This would not constitute a conflict of interest unless you have a noncompete agreement with your employer that prohibits you from engaging in any business or employment that is similar to your employment.