Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I AM A SERVER AT A COMEDY CLUBSINCE I HAVE WORK THERE I HAVE

Customer Question

I AM A SERVER AT A COMEDY CLUBSINCE I HAVE WORK THERE I HAVE NEVER RECIEVED A "POLICY AND PROCEDURES" MANUAL.. MY EMPLOYER REQUIRES ALL EMPLOYESS TO PAY OUT OF POCKET FOR A BILL IF THE CUSTOMER LEAVES THE RESTRUANT WITH OUT PAYING, IS THIS LEGAL? IN ADDITION I OFTEN WORK 7+HRS WITH OUT A BREAK OR LUNCH REST, ARE MY RIGHTS BEING VIOLATED?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

No, it is not legal for your employer to make employees pay out of pocket for bills if customers leave without payigng.

Also, your employer is required to give you a 30 minute meal break and at least one 15 minute rest break in a 7 hour shift.

You can file a wage claim against your employer for the amount that's been wrongfully deducted from your check for customers' meals that they haven't paid for and for the meal and rest breaks that you haven't received.

You can file a wage claim with the California Department of Industrial Relations.

You can file the wage claim using the forms that are available here:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm