Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

We are a staffing company in Calif. We have a client that schedules

We are a staffing company in Calif. We have a client that schedules employees for 10 and 1/2 hours a day. The company pays them for their 1/2 hr lunch time. I believe that they have to pay 2 & 1/2 of overtime even if the employee is padi for the 1/2 hour lunch. Could you confirm if I am right

Ron Blain
CFO
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Normally employees must be paid overtime if they are not exempt from overtime, for all hours exceeding 40 per week.

In most instances, overtime is not required for hours exceeding 8 in a single day.

Here is a link to a summary of overtime laws in CA:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_overtime.htm

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if an employee works 10 hours a day for 3 days but does not work more than 40 hrs for the week, than overtime pay is not required? Is that what you are saying?
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Yes, normally that is the case. The law requires overtime for hours exceeding 40 per week, not 8 per day typically.

All the best to you.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by Justanswer.com. If you do not press ACCEPT, the website retains your payment and I receive nothing. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.