Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

Can I sue my resturaunt, because I still work on my breaks!? I

Customer Question

Can I sue my resturaunt, because I still work on my breaks!?
I work graveyard and its me and one cook! If a order comes on my break im reqquired to take the order?
this restaurant is franchise.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Are you paid for the breaks if you work through them?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No im not, I've worked overtime a couple times as well, but my boss asked me if its okay to put to another day because labor is high..? Idk
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I see.

Under CA law, the employer must relieve you for your lunch period typically and cannot discipline you for taking the lunch since it is required by law. And, the employer must pay you if you work through your lunch normally.

Your recourse would normally involve filing a complaint with the state labor board, which has the authority to investigate and collect back wages owed on your behalf.

Here is a link to file a wage claim:

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much, yes you answered my question... im goingff to see what I can do because it is
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome!

All the best to you and Happy Holidays!