Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I was suspended for five days on a charge of inappropriately

I was suspended for five days on a charge of inappropriately accessing Radiology reports for my mother-in-law, for whom I am conservator. I work at the hospital where she was admitted as a pacs administrator. This coincidentally happened two weeks after I emailed a complaint to our nursing and case management about their lack of consulting me about her health care, as her conservator. This was her third admission that I had to file complaints, and I believe I was retaliated against because of this
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

You believe you were retaliated against because you complained about management's failure to consult with you?

Is there a policy that would prevent you from accessing her records as an employee?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hipaa regulations state that no employee can access phi inappropriately. As her conservator, I have legal right to the info, I asked the medical records dept. if I could access the info, but they tell me now that even so, I was supposed to make a written request for it through their dept. No one ever told me that before.
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I see.

Even though it may not constitute a violation of HIPAA since you had authorization to access the records, medical providers typically have a procedure to access such records that still must be followed, even where you have authorization.

Following these procedures is usually critical so the provider maintains control over the confidentiality of the records.

So if you did not follow the normaly procedures for accessing the records, the employer would have a basis for terminating or otherwise disciplining you and that violation would thwart any claim of retaliation you might bring.

They would essentially be able to explain the disciplinary action based on the violation of policy rather than retaliation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.