Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

Tina, Im still losing sleep over this matter. one question If

Tina,
I'm still losing sleep over this matter.
one question
If the terminated employee had admitted to me that she knew the test results were accurate (failed drug test) 3 weeks after termination have I breached confidentiality? Employer stated I breached because I only had knowledge because I was her supervisor.
Thank you,
Michaeline
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

Whose right to confidentiality does the employer argue you breached, theirs or the former employee's?

The former employee did not tell you in your capacity as a supervisor, correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They say I breached the former employees confidentiality. How could I have breached theirs?

The former employee did not tell me in my capacity as supervisor. She was terminated.

Sorry I asked the question again because it said the website was not responing.

Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
There is an easy way to solve this if the former employee is willing to sign a document waiving their right to confidentiality.

If not, there is still a very strong argument that you did not breach the employee's right to confidentiality for the very reason you suggest--you were not the employee's supervisor anymore.

The issue, while somewhat complex, would be mute really if you did have a duty to report your knowledge as you originally suggested since the obligation to report would overcome any right to confidentiality, much like a therapist's duty to report certain events overcomes their patient's right to confidentiality.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.