Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I am a long term (20+ years) employee of a company. 15 years

I am a long term (20+ years) employee of a company. 15 years of that employment were in California where I accurred 160 days of vacation before my company introduced an accural cap of 10 days. That cap was put in about 7 or 8 years ago. At that time the company recorded the accural amount and said it was recoginzed. Of course - no documentation was kept of the event.

I moved out of the state four years ago. I am being let go at the end of this year - eliminating my position. Although they haven't said it directly to me they told another employee that moved of the state of California with vacation days owed - you lost the vacation once you move out of the sate. They have also made statements to other long term employees that there is no recogiinition of old vacation days earned prior to the cap.

Two questions - Is vacation earned prior to the implementation of a vacation cap stillowed? Do you lose vacation time once you move out of state?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

In which state do you work for the company?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I currently work in Texas.

Work History:

1990-93: CA

1994-95: NV

1996-2007: CA

2008-10: TX

2011: TX

All with the same company.

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I see.

This is a choice of laws issue and CA law would not typically apply to your situation at all since the law of the state where you work at the time of termination would apply.

Since you work in TX, the other states would not normally intervene in the situation and it would be irrelevant where you worked when the vacation days were originally accrued normally.

Based on TX law, the employer's policy communicated to the employees would normally apply to determine what compensation you are entitled to receive for the accrued but unused vacation days.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.