Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I just got terminated last friday 1.5 months while still my

I just got terminated last friday 1.5 months while still my probation period with the reason that "your skills to be insufficient to maintain employment" which is not the case. It is more because the director don't like me for some reason. I have a termination letter but at the last meeting, they said that I have an option to put in a resignation letter which would be better for me in the future when it come to back ground check for other jobs. I am two months into my pregnancy and now I have to feed my 4 year toddler and expecting another one...which is going to be extremely hard to find a job in the next 6 months. My question:
1) should I send in a resignation letter?
2) should I find myself an attorney to file a discrimination lawsuit?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Did the employer know you are pregnant when they terminated you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
I see.

It is important to try to discover whether they knew about the pregnancy since the fact they provided you with a false reason for your termination does raise the suspicion of discrimination based on something and pregnancy is protected. So if they knew that you were pregnant, that would typically give rise to a claim for which you should file a complaint with the state fair employment and housing commission alleging pregnancy discrimination.

If you are unable to discover whether they knew you were pregnant, then you would not normally have recourse against the employer since you would be an employee at will and they could terminate you for any reason.

You should apply for unemployment benefits though since it does not appear you were terminated for good cause.

I would not turn in your resignation. Since this was such a short employment, you could omit it from your work history and if you discover they knew you were pregnant, turning in a resignation could hurt your case.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina, Attorney
Experience: JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.