Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Is it illegal to be employed by two different employers simultaneously.

Is it illegal to be employed by two different employers simultaneously. I ask this quesiton in reference to an earlier one posed where I am unable to honor a prospective employer's contract due to a few reasons and in fear of being sued. I go on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks and was wondering if I can take up the consulting position in a different state with a different employer during that time (2.5 weeks).
The job with the prospective employer is in New Jersey is a Business Analyst position and is identical to what I currently perform for my current employer in FL except that the two companies are not considered competitors. the current is a global financial powerhouse while the prospective is an online trading service company.
I figured by honoring the prospective employer's contract, which requires me to provide a 2 week notice, that I can work for the 2 weeks and free myself from any type of lawsuit. Please advise. thank you - Anne
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

LegalPro54 :

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. Do you have an employment contract that specifically prohibits dual employment? Is there an anti-compete clause in your agreement?

Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.