Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Is it illegal to be employed by two different employers simultaneously.

Is it illegal to be employed by two different employers simultaneously. I ask this quesiton in reference to an earlier one posed where I am unable to honor a prospective employer's contract due to a few reasons and in fear of being sued. I go on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks and was wondering if I can take up the consulting position in a different state with a different employer during that time (2.5 weeks).
The job with the prospective employer is in New Jersey is a Business Analyst position and is identical to what I currently perform for my current employer in FL except that the two companies are not considered competitors. the current is a global financial powerhouse while the prospective is an online trading service company.
I figured by honoring the prospective employer's contract, which requires me to provide a 2 week notice, that I can work for the 2 weeks and free myself from any type of lawsuit. Please advise. thank you - Anne
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

LegalPro54 :

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. Do you have an employment contract that specifically prohibits dual employment? Is there an anti-compete clause in your agreement?